Florence Bellone is a Belgian journalist who has investigated child snatching in the UK for a considerable time. As a result, she has
- written to the Education Select Committee: The Child Protection System in England
- won a Special Radio Prize for Great Britain: The Stolen Children.
The Grand Jury distinguished the report for its investigative merit in highlighting a human rights issue occurring in a highly-developed European Member State. The piece was characterised as ‘a technically impressive, investigative report into shocking and relatively unknown human rights violations’.
- The impact of neglect and the long term consequences of a delay in intervention where there is evidence of neglect;
- Older young people (especially those aged 15 to 19) and child protection;
- Thresholds for intervention, for taking children into care and for adoption.
My own contribution to the Committee is in draft form here.
- In the Best Interest of the Ideology: the Child Protection System in England, by Florence Bellone (gloriamusa.wordpress.com)
- First Daily Express, now BBC: the scandal of snatching children for adoption (victims-unite.net)
- Do these children look as if they need the ‘care’ and ‘protection’ of Haringey Council? (gloriamusa.wordpress.com)