It is too soon to sing Hallelujah, but here are two stories in one week that make our hearts sing and our hands applaud Sir James Munby:
- Jail social workers who take children without telling parents why, says Britain’s top family judge
* Sir James Munby attacked workers in Bristol who didn’t explain themselves
* They did not tell a couple why their two children were being taken from them
* They breach a court order in doing so – which could carry a jail term in future
- MP [John Hemming of course] condemns secret justice
* Strange that no other paper has reported this yet…
- Courts should adapt to the realities of the internet, particularly social media
* I just wish that this judgement was taken on board by every judge in the country!
On the other end of the spectrum of white collar crimes, I met last night two of the 4,000 Financial Ombudsmen who have been set up by the financial industry as alternatives to court – and they are free of charge! Once you’re in court, they don’t help, it seems. Also, when cases are too big, i.e. worth more than £100,000. Well, they do have to protect themselves, don’t they, these brethren. A seasoned fighter tells me about the ‘conflicts of interest’ of senior board members…
Apparently, they grew exponentially over the last two years AND they get financial institutions to pay compensation! They also uphold far more complaints than they refuse. So give them a chance, I’d say!
Wouldn’t it be nice if there were as many Legal Ombudsmen (and -women) around – free of charge – instead of lawyers riding the Legal Aid train???
- SECOND ARTICLE in The Telegraph – will it help to reunite Mother and Son? (melissalaird.wordpress.com)
- WHAT WOULD I DO if my Children were Taken Away by ‘Social’ Services? (punishmentwithoutcrime.wordpress.com)
- LAW BREAKERS can’t be Law Enforcers: the First Empowerment Monday (victims-unite.net)
- Court of protection ‘should be opened up to public and media scrutiny’ (theguardian.com)
- DEPORTED, imprisoned and beaten for being a Parent: Sunday Telegraph (melissalaird.wordpress.com)