We have a great campaigning opportunity in London on Friday as the lawyers are walking out in protest at cut-backs in legal aid which affects many family court cases as you know.
So please join Maggie, me & Sonia Poulton outside Parliament on Friday morning from 10 am – we’ll be waving Battle flags so hopefully you’ll be able to spot us easily. Sonia as you may know is the ex-presenter of the The People’s Voice TV and she will be doing interviews of people campaigning for justice for the children & families and of course there’ll be other press & media there too so it’s a great opportunity all in all.
See you Friday
Join the demonstration to
SAVE LEGAL AID
10am Friday 7th March Old Palace Yard SW1.
Followed by march to Ministry of Justice
Lawyers are refusing to attend court on Friday to protest against further legal aid cuts.
Noela Claye, All African Women’s Group, who is being persecuted by the Home Office and is fighting a heroic battle to win the right to safety and protection in the UK will be speaking at the event.
Black Women’s Rape Action Project and Women Against Rape are supporting the protest – we work with many rape survivors who will be deprived of vital legal representation by these cuts*.
These cuts will cost lives. Please join the protest.
Call 020 7482 2496 for more information.
*Legal Action for Women explains the cuts and the impact on women in particular: click here
This Guardian article relates to the issue at stake: Inquisitorial system may be better for family and civil cases, says top judge. It raises these questions in my mind:
- is the secrecy of the family courts bringing the whole UK judiciary into disrepute?
- how come we haven’t found legal aid lawyers in the family system operating in the interests of their clients?
- how come we needed to create the Association of McKenzie Friends?
- will financing the inquisitorial system be better?
- if yes, how?
- might the money powers think about the Bradbury Pound 100 years after its invention?