This 113-page report is based on inspections carried out from February to May 2016. However, inspections did not include Kentish Town, Barnet or Holborn Stations which made me suffer.
HM Inspectorate of Constabulary [HMIC] visited Police in 16 of the 32 London boroughs:
- North – Brent, Islington, Haringey, Harrow;
- South – Lambeth, Southwark, Bromley, Bexley;
- East – Tower Hamlets, Havering, Waltham Forest, Newham;
- West – Richmond, Hounslow, Hammersmith and Fulham; and
- Central – Westminster.
Published in November 2016, the report received these reviews:
- Met police heavily criticised over child protection failings – Emergency measures for force after watchdog says 75% of sampled child risk cases reveal serious police errors – The Guardian 25.11.16
- Anne Longfield, the children’s commissioner for England, said: “It is deeply worrying that the Met has not yet got to grips with the way it tackles child abuse and sexual exploitation. Its delay in doing so will have blighted the lives of many thousands of London’s children whose abuse has gone undetected by the authorities tasked with protecting them.”
- ‘Serious errors’ by Met Police put children at risk – damning report – No chief officer was responsible for child protection across London – The Telegraph 25.11.16
- “Victims weren’t protected, evidence was lost and offenders continued to pose a risk to children.”
- “…inexcusably poor practice at every stage of a child’s interaction with the police.”
- Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt, who will now coordinate child-protection efforts, said: “We have re-thought how we go about our work to protect London’s most vulnerable.”
- Met Police making ‘serious errors’ in child abuse cases, inspectors warn – Three quarters of cases found to have been handled inadequately or requiring improvement – The Independent 25.11.16
- “The Met is a large and complex force but, nevertheless, the importance of the police getting this right and protecting children cannot be overstated.”
- Home Secretary Amber Rudd said she had requested public quarterly reports from HMIC on the Met’s progress.
- She said: “The findings of this report are profoundly concerning. They raise serious issues that must be urgently addressed.”
- Metropolitan Police sex abuse case ‘failings put children at risk’ – Inspectors found 277 of 384 child sexual abuse cases had been poorly handled by the force – BBC11.16
- Current London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: “This deeply troubling report has found that, too often, children in our city have been let down when they are most in need.
- “This is simply unacceptable and things must change.”
- He says he has set out a plan to improve the service, including “a new independent group of child protection experts”.
In the spirit of Christmas, which we anticipated as children for the presents, we now need to ask ourselves where are the adults who have received the spiritual gifts of love, faith and hope to shine the light into the darkness of evil?
In Germany, three fathers got nailed to a cross outside the highest court in Karlsruhe, as they campaign for Both Parents for All Children. They felt that the microphone they were given was like the sponge with vinegar that was given to Jesus…
Here in the UK, I compiled the statistics of 152 local authorities into an 8-page report Children in Care.