Marriage can extend life

Marriage can prolong life

Marriage may protect against the development of cardiovascular disease and against stroke, according to an analysis by researchers. Risk of heart attack or stroke increases in unmarried people by up to 55 percent.

Findings published in the journal „Heart” suggest that marital status should be taken into account as a risk factor for chorob heart and stroke mozgu.

The majority, as much as 80 percent. chorob of the cardiovascular system can be attributed to well-known risk factors such as age, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smokingow or diabetes. But it is unclear what affects the remaining 20 percent of.

The results of previous studies on the effect of marital status on health were somewhat zrovaried. To clarify these issues, the authors scoured databases of published research studies. Thirty-four were taken into accountod 225 studies published between 1963 and 2015, whichoMore than two million people took part in the studyob between the ages of 42 and 77 from Europe, America Ponortheast, the Middle East and Asia.

A combined analysis of the data showed that in cfon comparison with married people, people whoore in a relationship were not (never married, divorced, widowed) were at increased risk of diseaseob of the cardiovascular system by 42 percent. and coronary heart disease by 16 percent. In addition, it was associated roalso with a higher risk of death zaronally due to coronary artery disease – 42 percent., As well as stroke – 55 percent.

The analysis showed roalso that the development ofod was associated with a 35 percent higher. risk of heart disease zaroin both men and women, while widowers of both sexes were 16 percent. more susceptible to stroke.

Although there was no roThe differences in the risk of death from stroke mozg between married and unmarried, the risk was significantly higher following a heart attack – 42 percent. in osob, whichore never married.

However, the authors admitted that the research methods used in the works analyzed were rożne, which may have influenced the results of their analysis. There was also no information on cohabitation, same-sex marriages and the quality of marriage itself.

This is the largest study to date on this topic. Scientists emphasize that they are rodifferent ideas about why marriage benefits health. Someoreoties about faster recognition and response to health problems wspoł spouse. Other mobind about watchfulness in drug useoduring illness, financial security, improved well-being or family ties.

– Future research should focus wokoł whether marital status is a proxy for other adverse health behaviors or profileoin cardiovascular risk, whichore underlies our findings or whether marital status should be considered a risk factor in itself, the authors conclude.